Happy Pie Day! “Why is it Pie Day?” Well the date is March 13, or 3.14, also Pi (π) the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.
Call me nerdy for celebrating this day with one of my favorite decadent treats, but why not? It is a great excuse to indulge in America’s most infamous desert.
I have committed to eating much healthier and swore to kick my dessert addiction by finding acceptable replacements so I could still enjoy some of my favorite tasty pleasures.
Here are a few recipes for healthy, delicious pie!
Paleo Pie Crust:
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine all ingredients except water
- Gradually add water to thicken dough
- Press into pie plate
- Pre-bake approximately 10 minutes, while arranging filling, or until lightly browned
The All American Classic APPLE PIE! (Gluten Free and Paleo!) by Ancestral Chef
- Melt the coconut oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add the honey, apples, and spices.
- Stir the mixture to cover the apples with the oil, honey, and spices.
- Add in the coconut flour and mix well.
- Add in the vanilla extract and turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spoon in the apple pieces and sauce into the pie crust.
- Cover the pie with the strips of pastry, creating the lattice. Press a fork along the edge to push the pastry down.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
Healthy Pumpkin Pie (KILLER GOOD!) by the Healthy Foodie
- 1½ cup graham flour
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 75g crushed pecans
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ cup egg whiles (or 4 egg whites)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each: allspice, ginger, freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp salt
- 30g crushed pecans
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp raisins, chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup